Chronology of Starbucks
- 1851: Starbuck is the first mate of the Pequod in Moby-Dick
- 1971: The first Starbucks opens. At that point, Starbucks was just selling whole bean coffee, tea, and spices.
- 1978: Lieutenant Starbuck is a Viper Pilot in the original Battlestar Galactica
- 1986: Starbucks coffee starts serving espresso, beginning the age of Starbucks as we know it
- 2004: Starbuck is the callsign of Lieutenant Kara Thrace in the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica
I was trying to figure out if Battlestar Galactica Starbuck preceded the coffee shop. Whaler Starbuck certainly does, so I think I’m okay now.
Q: Are you ever afraid of someone stealing your thunder, especially when you’ve been quite open about development and showing off your games for some time now?
Chris Hecker: I think anybody really good is going to want to do their own thing. Anybody who’s not really good, you don’t have to worry too much about.
Some of the people that I interact with in science are paranoid about someone ripping off their idea, at least, before it can get published. Maybe it’s because I’m not that great at what I do, or because I come at problems from a strange angle, that I don’t think there’s much likelihood of someone scooping me. The expectation that someone will steal your idea is a little vain, I think.